Friday, September 27, 2013

Data, Data, and more Data!!

So this week in class we've spent a lot more time talking about statistics and data about all different kinds of things. This past week I got to watch a video talking about a demographic winter. One thing that caught my attention is when they were talking about the rates of fertility and how it has gone up and down over time and how that has affected the population.

One thing that kind of shocked me was my teacher, Brother Wilson, asked the class how much land would be taken up if everyone in the world had one acre of land? A majority of the class said probably the land size of Brazil. Well, we were wrong. The answer...only the size of Texas would be taken up! I know Texas is big (I've driven it!) but I didn't realize that the world's population could fit in the size of Texas if everyone owned an acre of land.

It just got me to think how important families are and how the decisions to have children are big. The decision to have a family not only just affects you but also pretty much the whole world if you really think about it! Its been interesting to study the rates of fertility through out the world and how that has changed the population over time. I know that the decision to have children is a private matter and I believe it is between the husband, wife, and God but  come on....who couldn't resist having moments like this with their children!?


No comments:

Post a Comment