Saturday, September 21, 2013

"Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday."

For those of you who are fans of the Princess Bride you will get the quote above. If your not a fan or haven't seen the movie yet, I'm sorry.

Anyways, this week in class we have been talking a lot about research, studies, and marriage. In class we talked a little bit about proposition 8 and the D.O.M.A. act that President Clinton signed protecting marriage between a man and a woman. In response to these laws the American Psychological Association presented several studies stating (I'm paraphrasing now) that there are no differences from homosexual couples raising children verses married heterosexual couples raising children.

For class I had an opportunity to read a paper written by Loren Marks. Marks took the studies that the APA used and basically analyzed them. I was honestly really surprised to read what he had found. A lot of the studies that the APA used weren't even comparing homosexual couples against heterosexual families. Reading through this article helped me realize that sometimes you can't really trust statistics as much as you would like! So moral of the story is resarch is good, do it your self and get all your facts before making a statement!

5 comments:

  1. Hey my name is Emily and I am the TA for your class. Good job on your blog! You'll love this course and it will teach you so much about the importance of the family. There is definitely a lot of research that is not statistically relevant. I liked your comment that it is necessary to make sure research is correct before making statements. Wise words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Krystle...Looking forward to hearing more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do my research before making statements. In fact, I dislike when someone makes a statement on this matter or any other matter without researching themselves and getting the facts right first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting Krystle! Your last statement is my favorite and I wish more people would think that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so true about research statistics; my husband teaches students about the importance of verifying that a research study really is accurate and well done before relying on the information

    ReplyDelete