Saturday, October 12, 2013

Culture...It's part of who we are.

So this week in class we spent sometime discussing the effects of cultures and class on society and families.

We defined culture as a circle of in a community that people are born into. It is a part of you, whether you like it or not. We talked also about how a persons culture can change over time. A lot of examples including missionaries came up. I know when I was serving in the Samoan assignment my first couple months, I picked up certain gestures and mannerisms here and there that have since become a part of me. We also talked about how ones culture can change if they choose to marry someone from a different town/area. In a sense, compromise happens.

A question was presented to the class. "Are all cultures equal in terms of being right and wrong, good and bad? Do we have the right to proclaim one set of values to be better than another?"

I have my personal belief that when it comes to cultures all are important and each has their good and bad. What do you think?

Marcus Garvey said, "A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots."

I believe culture is an essential part of who we are as people. After all, what is a tree with out its roots?

3 comments:

  1. You mentioned that you believe that each culture has both positive and negative aspects yet do you believe some have more positive components than others? How can we influence our personal familial culture? Do you believe that we products of our surroundings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do personally believe that some cultures have more positive components than others. I think we have certain mannerisms that we can gain from other cultures that can affect our personal familial culture. I have a friend who served in Japan and she picked up certain eating habits that will probably stick with her the rest of her life and may even pass on to her future family. I also believe that we are to an extent a product of our surrounding. I believe that our surroundings can control and influence us just as much as we can control and influence our surroundings.

    ReplyDelete