Friday, November 29, 2013

The joys of work....

So Monday in class we talked about what we as adults have come to love (yes, that was meant to be said in a sarcastic voice). We talked about work.

Okay, truth time. I actually love work. To me there is nothing better than the feeling you get once you have accomplished something you have worked really hard on. Work is a natural instinct that we have as human beings. If you look clear back to our first parents, Adam and Eve, they started working and it has been something we have done ever sense.

If you think about it, little kids love to work! I was talking to my grandma about work ethics one day (she recently got back from visiting my aunt, uncle, and cousins) and she started to tell me about one of my younger cousins. This little cousin is number six out of seven, I think. My grandma went on to tell me that she will go and clean up any little mess that she can find. She is her moms biggest helper, and it is starting to rub off on the youngest (who I believe is about to be two). This little girl will do anything her mom asks her to and doesn't ask her to! She loves to work!

So, think about this....we have to learn to be lazy. We have to learn how to not love work. I know...this seems a little crazy but bare with me for a minute. Think of all the "fun times" you've had with your family. Sure, some of them may revolve around activities or movies and such, but some of them may revolve around doing dishes, cleaning up after a holiday meal, or even weeding the garden.

When we work together as a family, we grow as a family. I remember the times I felt the closest with my mother was when I was helping her weed the garden or do the dishes. It was during this time I talked with her. I told her about what was happening with my life and how things were going and such.

In my family, it seems to me, when we clean, we talk. I remember cleaning my sisters room with them after friends had played over and they would talk about what they did, who they liked, how life was, and what they were struggling with. I like to believe that it was in those moments that I really got to know my sisters and they got to know me.

So, I'd like to give you a challenge. Next time you ask your children to clean up something or work on something, do it with them and see what happens. If you don't have children, clean/work with your spouse and see what happens.

After all if you think about it, faith brings miracles, but faith requires work. So eventually, work brings miracles. Miracles in your family will happen if you work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment